Saturday, April 28, 2012

First Love with Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy


First Love/Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy
               If first love had a taste it would be something like champagne, light, sweet, bubbly, fun and short-lived.  When I’m asked about my first love, I never know quite how to answer.  Do I count Joe, the boy I dreamed of marrying back when I was eight and he was an older man of nine? Or would it be the guy I shared my first kiss with in the middle of math class? After all, when he worked with my husband for awhile a few years ago, he confided he still loved me and always had.  And I have to admit he’ll always have a little piece of my heart.  But what we shared was still puppy love so do I move forward and count my first real boyfriend, the one with the smoking hot blue Pontiac GTO.  He was the one who graduated the year before me and my senior year I sneaked out of school most days so he could pick me up before he had to go to work second shift because it was just about the only time we could share. (Yes, Mom, it’s true – I confess.  It’s why Mr. Hively almost flunked me as his student assistant because he found out cut school every afternoon) Reality and different paths in life eventually ended our relationship but I remember him with affection.
                Even I can’t pick which would be my true first love experience.  I’m a romantic at heart (no wonder I write romance novels) and I still have a little sense of connection with all the men I’ve loved.
                Maybe that’s why when I’ve written about first love the story involves second chances.  In my first Rebel Ink Press title, Love Never Fails, Caroline rushes home when the one time love of her life says he needs her without even asking why.  Catherine still loves Connor and when he turns up as a patient in the hospital where she works as a nurse, the old feelings fan into flame in my recent release, A Patient Heart.  Some of my upcoming titles from Rebel Ink Press also deal with either a first love or another shot at happiness with an old love.
                And then there’s my husband who I first met at the age of thirteen but never dated until I was thirty.  Why? For one thing, he never asked me out and for another I was happily involved with other men.  I made some mistakes, corrected a few of them, loved, lost, and lived.  So although I met him very young and on the day I met him thought “now that’s the kind of guy I should marry”, I didn’t, not first but I guess you could say I saved him for last.

                First love is sweet but I think vintage wine (and love) has a far more robust flavor.
 Links:


Rebel Writer: Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy: http://leeannsontheimermurphy.blogspot.com




1 comment:

Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy said...

Thanks so much for having me on the blog today!