Friday, August 17, 2012

CASSANDRE DAYNE - HEROES-UNIFORM OR NOTHING AT ALL?



















HEROES – UNIFORM OR NOTHING AT ALL?

Cassandre Dayne

 I have all these sexy m/m pieces coming out and I’m writing about all kinds of male characters lately. One this I’ve realized is that we all love heroes. It doesn’t matter what kind we need a man or a woman we can get behind and rally for. Heroes come in all shapes and sized and I think we need that sense of protection around us in a world full of criminals and strife. They are also the ones we simply look up to. So on this day I thought I’d honor our heroes – and give you a taste of what I think.    

     Any of you that know me realize that I love bad boys. I have this thing about men on Harleys and tattoos and that slice of danger you feel when you see a hunk on the other side of the room in ripped jeans and two day stubble. Remember when you were in high school and the bad boys were the ones that skipped class and hung with the smokin’ crowd? Ah, those were the days. Wouldn’t it have frightened your mother to death if you came home with one of those on a date? WHEW – oh I can hear the cuss words now!

     Did I have a bad boy when I was younger? Yes, I have to admit that I did and he was an American Indian with long shaggy ebony hair and ripped muscles and stood six foot four and yes, he had a Harley. I laugh now because I had no idea that I was developing a “type” at sixteen. Who knew? He was also almost ten years older than me and while he came from a very good family, my mother initially freaked out. Oddly enough, she loved him later because he was only a bad boy on the exterior. He was sweet and luscious and well…I won’t tell you any additional naughty details. What did he happen to do for a living? He was a fireman and saved many a life. I’m not sure it mattered to me then but when I was thinking about the heroes that I create now in several of my pieces, they’re our hired heroes that keep use safe.

     There doesn’t seem to be a manner in which we love our heroes – they just matter to us in how they live their lives and try every day to save us. Okay then again they are sexy as hell. Is it something about their uniform or perhaps our wicked thoughts of stripping off their uniforms?

     I think we realize that they’re on the line almost every day saving our cities, our property and sometimes our lives with pay that isn’t the best and they step into the line of firepower or fire without question. Heroes have always played a role in society and in romance stories from the world wars to cowboys and Indians. The love is nothing new but we don’t mind reading about the sexy fireman that saves lives during the day and then perhaps strips in a club after work for the ladies? Do we? Be honest ladies, don’t you want to perhaps go to see the Chippendale’s men and take in a show where they’re dressed as cops? Hmmm… any of you ever see The Full Monte? I think that movie truly shows that every day man can be sexy as hell and our hero and in turn, they’re the new bad boy we crave taking just a little taste of.

     I’ve penned a collection called Hot Summer Nights – and they originally were meant to be fun and playful in the presentation. You know what I mean – hot and sexy and nothing else. But after the first one something happened. They all have heroes nestled within the pages, bringing you a level of life and love that I didn’t even anticipate.  It’s funny about heroes. We don’t care what color, flavor or sexual orientation when they are saving us.

So my latest Hot Summer Nights is all about a hero and one that’s our every day in a baseball player. When he’s down on his luck, we all want to rally around him. We all love sports and I think this one will resonate with the readers.



HOT SUMMER NIGHTS – COZUMEL

“That was a damn awesome game, Troy.” Patting him on the back, the older man grinned and glanced around the perimeter of the ball field. “I could tell you were struggling with the last few pitches, but I tell you what, you’re a damn trooper. I know the arm has to hurt like a son of a bitch.”

Troy Underwood sniffed and glanced up and down the almost sad look on Coach Taylor’s face. “It’s not so bad.” Like fucking hell it wasn’t. He was on fire every time he even tried to move his right arm because of the way his shoulder felt, screaming bloody murder with every throw of the ball. There was no doubt he was facing at minimum debilitating surgery and if his doctor’s summation was right, the end of his pitching career. Cringing, he looked away.

“Hey man! God that was awesome. You kicked ass and then some.”

“Hell, I was just trying to make sure we made a good name for ourselves.” Troy wasn’t the oh-shucks kind of guy, but if he had been on his game, they’d have made the playoffs instead of ending the season a pitiful fifth. He smiled at his teammate but suspected every member of the team was thinking the same damn thing. How could they not be? There was no one else to blame but himself. Damn it! Being on the Cincinnati Reds was the dream of a lifetime come true and he’d been on his way to taking his beloved ball team back to the glory they once held and then…

“I know that look, my friend. Why don’t you come out for a beer later?”

Shrugging, he glanced at his best buddy and debated the thought. Sky Wilkens was a true ladies man and the only guy on the team who could make him laugh no matter what mood he was in. “Yeah, all right.”

“You make it sound like I’m going to be pulling your teeth or worse,” Sky said as he gave Troy a harsh glare. “You ain’t gettin’ out of this one. The guys are going to Spanky’s around eight. We’re going to watch a few games on the television, snag a girl for a treat and you know what, buddy? You’re getting laid tonight for the first time. Be there or I hunt your lily white ass down with tracking dogs. You got it?” His eyes sparkling, he leaned over and gave Troy a subtle finger before taking two giant strides backwards.

“You better run or I’ll chase you down the street. I might have a bad right wing, but I can still chase you into a corner!” Troy snared playfully and thought about his less than lackluster love life. He hadn’t been laid in well over a year and somehow he didn’t think tonight was going to change anything. His mood and particular needs didn’t warrant what Spanky’s had to offer. Still, he’d go and pretend, just like a good boy and the hottest bachelor on the circuit. At least according to Sports Illustrated. An honor he didn’t deserve. Inhaling deeply, he plastered on a fake smile and flicked his fingers under his chin for effect. “Bite me.”

“Promises. Promises. Later, dude.” Sky gave him a salute before heading off toward the team room.

Coach Taylor waited until Sky was out of hearing distance before moving in front of Troy. “What have you decided to do, son?”

“Meaning?”

“Don’t play coy with me. I can tell exactly what you’re going through. I can see the excruciating pain you’re in. You need to have the surgery and you know I’m right. If you don’t, your career could be in the toilet soon. The reporters are already sensing something is going on with you.”

That Troy realized intimately. He’d been getting phone calls from one too many who wanted what they called the “real” story. He wasn’t even certain what that was any longer. All for a hot and very exclusive story on one down trodden hero. Rubbing his shoulder, he truly wanted to get away for a little while, take some time to figure out the best course of action. “The injury isn’t that bad.”

“Forgive me for saying this, son but bullshit! You and I know it. I’ve been around a hell of a long time and I can see blind stinking drunk career ending when it’s happening. You need to get your head out of your ass and take care of yourself or there won’t be any minor league you can go to, even if you can still play.”

“Said like my coach.”

Coach Taylor moved within an inch of his face. “Said like a man who gives a damn about you. Remember, I knew your father and he would want you happy and healthy. If you can’t play baseball again, fine, but you have the rest of your life ahead of you so don’t blow any future you might have on a reckless decision. I’ve talked to your doctors and…”

“What the hell?” Interrupting, Troy wanted to be incensed but the truth was he knew Mike Taylor was a kind and caring man who did indeed have his best interests at heart. He’d been the father figure in his life since he was a teenager.

I hope you enjoyed and of course you can find me at all the usual places. Let me know what you think.

Kisses xxx

Cassandre

WHERE TO FIND ME




 

GET A SIGNED COPY ON KINDLEGRAPH



FIND MY BOOKS AT


 Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Pubit, Bookstrand and Coffee Time Romance






No comments: